Sunday, October 12, 2008

Pumpkin Cloverleaf Rolls



Ok, once again, look beyond this crappy picture (note to self: photographing a yellowish food in a green bowl, not a good idea) and try these! I am a firm believer that there aren't many better things in this world than a homemade, hot from the oven roll. So when I came across this recipe in the November Family Fun mag., I knew I had to make these. They are a great addition to a fall meal, and would also be really yummy for a brunch since they have a buttery sweetness to them. The recipe only makes 12, but they are 12 monster rolls. Yum!

3 3/4 C. flour, plus more for sprinkling
1 pkg or 2 1/4 tsp instant or bread machine yeast (I used regular yeast)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 C. milk
1/4 C. honey
1/2 C. canned or frozen and thawed pureed pumpkin or squash
1 large egg
1/2 C. warm water
8 fresh sage leaves, slivered (or 1 1/3 tsp. dried leaves)
1 stick butter

1) In a large bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, and salt, and set it aside. (Since I didn't use instant yeast, I proofed my yeast in the warm water with a little sugar in a separate cup first)
2) Pour the milk into a microwaveable bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Whisk in the honey, squash, egg, and water (or the yeast water if you do it my way).
3) Blend the squash mixture into the flour mixture until you have a soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (Again, I was worried my non-instant yeast wouldn't work as well, so I just put the bowl in a warm place to rise for an hour. They didn't roll into balls as well since the dough wasn't cold, but they raised really nicely.)
4) Two hours before baking, turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead 6 sage leaves into the dough (I used the dried). Melt the butter and set aside. Divede dough in half, then divide each half into 6 portions. Divide each portion into 3 pieces. With floured hands, roll each piece into a ball and dip it into the melted butter. Place 3 balls in a muffin cup. Continue until 12 muffin cups are filled.
5) Drizzle each rolls with 1/2 tsp. of the leftover butter and then sprinkle them with the rest of the sage (or a shot of dried stuff from the jar). Let the rolls rise in a warm spot until they're double in size, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours (took just under an hour for me due to the first rising).
6) Heat oven to 350. Bake the rolls until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Makes 1 dozen.

No comments: